Saturday, August 17, 2013

New blog

Ok, this blog is going to be a place to dump all my work and really a way for myself to visually evaluate my progress as I go through Art Center. A little about my journey to Art Center: I found about about the school when I was in high school in Canada, I loved to sketch cars, but at the time I didn't think car design was a feasible career path, so after graduating high school I studied psychology at the University of British Columbia. During school, I worked a bunch of odd jobs -- at a thrift store, leather jacket salesman at the mall, and even peddled insurance for a while. It wasn't until after graduating from UBC in May 2011 that I was hit with the sobering reality that I needed to find a career path. By pure chance, I stumbled upon the blog of someone that I used to know on the car design news forums. On his blog, he said that he had went through Art Center and was working as a car design in Detroit. This was when I realized that perhaps being a car designer is not so far fetched of an idea, and that maybe I should give it a shot. So, while working part time, I put together an entrance portfolio between May and September 2011to submit to Art Center. I was accepted, but they didn't give me any scholarships so I didn't go. Although I wasn't able to attend, the fact that they accepted me gave me the confidence to give it another try, but I knew that I couldn't do it on my own and needed some guidance. That's when I saw a post on the blog of David Day Lee where he offered tutoring for trans students. David was 6th term undergraduate trans (I think..) at the time, and I knew that someone who is on the inside at ACCD would be extremely valuable for my growth. David tutored me on a weekly basis over the phone and skype (I was still living in Vancouver while he was in LA), and I improved dramatically. With David's help, I was able to put together a second portfolio for the Spring 2013 term. I got in (again), got the scholarship I needed, and is currently about to enter 3rd term at Art Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment